Friday, October 06, 2006

Costello's BROKEN











(Elvis Costello)


BROKEN (Costello & O’Riordan)

If I am frightened, then I can hide it...
If I am crying, I’ll call it laughter…

If I am haunted, I’ll call it my imaginary friend…
If I am bleeding, I’ll call it wine…

But if you leave me, then I am broken…
And if I’m broken, then only death remains…

If I am drifting, then I can fight it…
If I am sinking, no one will know it…

If I am blinded, I’ll have my voices still to guide me…
If they yet fled away, I’d bless the silence…

But if you leave me, then I am broken
And if I’m broken then only death remains…


---------------------------------------------------------------

Elvis Costello is one among lots of my favourite recording artists. When he first emerged at the 70's, he's just a post-punk, power-pop versatile talent, and now as we know it, he's one of the most recognized and well-respected songwriter and performer. He'd enjoyed the luxury of working together with important musicians, such as the legendary American songwriter Burt Bacharach, and the ex-Beatle Sir Paul McCartney, to name a few.
And above is Broken, one of the most beautiful lyrics in Costello's repertoirs. He wrote it with his previous wife (before he married the jazz singer, Diana Krall).
It's beautiful, indeed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home